Wednesday 14 March 2012

Mini takes a back seat for a while...

It's been a while since my last update.  There has been very little progress on the mini.  I've been spending most of my free time working on my YZ80 project since I finally picked it up a few weeks back.

My very first post in this blog gave some info about this bike.  It's a 1993 YZ80E1.  I've wanted one for ever but they seem to be very hard to find!  So, when this one popped up on ebay I jumped on it.

Here it is, as purchased:



Fortunately, the engine runs perfectly so it will only require a cosmetic rebuild.  Everything else is pretty tired. 

First step was to strip it down.  Lucky Doug, the expert mechanic Pug was around to lend a hand :) 






Next was the part I hate the most - stripping paint.  I started doing it by hand with stripper.  Urrggh!


I quickly decided that was too hard and took it to work where there is a proper industrial sand blaster.  With that done and some fresh bright white two-pack paint, it came up like a new frame.


Next, I started on the rear suspension but thats a post for another day...





No comments:

Post a Comment