Friday 6 January 2012

Another new project - YZ80

In 1993, Yamaha released a new YZ80 that was a radical change for 80cc dirt bikes - front and rear disc brakes, upside down forks and styling just like the big bikes.  I remember reading about them in magazines and desperately wanting one.  There was no way I'd ever get a new one, instead, my 1979 YZ80 I had at the time was rebuilt with stickers and colours of the new '93 model.  I thought it was cool anyway.


So, for the last three or four years I've been on the lookout for one.  When I started looking I thought I'd find one easily.  I don't know where they all ended up but It took me years to find one. 

Early this week one popped up on ebay, advertised as a 1994.  I recognised the swingarm decals which are unique to the 1993.  Confirmation of the frame number showed it was in fact a '93.  Awesome!


So that's the only photo from ebay.  Looks complete and a good base for restoration. 

I'll post some more details after I pick it up.

1 comment:

  1. hi my name is damien auksorius ,, these little yz 80s are awesome

    ReplyDelete