Monday 11 June 2012

Wow!  It's been a long time since the last update.  Things have progressed slowly on the YZ80 project due to me being distracted with the Mini.  I've been busy planning and collecting parts for it - to be detailed here soon.

Untill then though, I really have to finish the YZ!  The last thing I want to do is have it sitting here 75% done for the next few years (I'm really good at that!).

Ok - an update on the YZ:

So, one thing that I've been looking for is a new airbox.  The one on the bike was a bit tired and had one of the cast-in nuts that fastens the box to the frame was chewed out and missing.  Problem is, the airbox was unique to the 1993 and 1994 YZ80's.  In 1995 they changed slightly for some reason.  As a result, the original box is hard to find. So, I fixed this one.

First problem was the chewed out mounting nut:



It looks as though someone has got a bit excited with the spanner and twisted it out.  So, I went to the hardware shop in search of some sort of castable epoxy resin.  I found this stuff instead:


It's an two part epoxy putty.  I'd never used it before but figured it would be worth a go.  It worked perfectly!






Once set, this stuff is very hard and feels as strong as the other cast - in nuts.  A bit of sanding and that job was done.

The rest of the work on the airbox was just some elbow grease - cleaning, blasting and sanding in an attempt to smooth out the years of battle scars.  After that, I primed it and painted it in a black paint that looks almost identical to black plastic.  All in all it came up ok considering how it looked to begin with. 

Installed on the bike it looks even better.


With that done, I was able to fit up the plastics properly for the first time.  It's looking more complete now!


Next - front end.


No comments:

Post a Comment